Routine Government Fee (Transfer Fee) – only government official can collect routine government fees (this is not a bribe)
Company Policies – It is the project manager’s professional responsibility to ensure that company policies are followed during the project.
Copyright laws – do not violate
Employee mistake – when a team member makes a mistakes, allow him to save face and to fix the problem. Try to workout an issue before escalating. Exception: if it is not considered a project related issue (e.g. harassment), it should be reported directly to the employee’s manager.
Do not make illegal payments, report thefts
Company and Customer’s Interest – professional responsibility requires the investigation of any instances where the legitimate interests of the customer may be compromised. If such compromise is found, action must be taken. Protect your company’s interests
Budget tampering – presenting anything besides your original estimate to allocate more to the budget is inaccurate and calls into question your competence and integrity as project manager (e.g. if a customer ask to estimate “pessimistically”, you should add as a lump sum contingency fund to handle project risks)
Rights – do not do business with a country where there is a clear violation of the fundamental rights (e.g. non-discriminating treatment).
Major Roles of Project Team in PR (Professional Responsibility)
- The Project team has a professional responsibility to its stakeholders including customers, the performing organization and the public. Especially the project team members who are PMI members and/or PMPs should adhere to the updated versions of the “Code of Ethics” and “Code of Professional Conduct”.
- Specifically, PMI members should adhere to “Code of Ethics”
- Specifically, Project Management Professionals (PMP) certification should adhere to a “Code of Professional Conduct”.
Code of Ethics (few to mention):-
- Maintain high standards of integrity and professional conduct.
- Accepts Responsibility for the actions.
- Continuously seek to enhance the professional capabilities
- Practice with fairness and honesty.
- Encourage others in the profession to act in an ethical and professional manner
Code of Professional Conduct (few to mention):-
- Adhere to legal requirements and ethical standards
- Protect stakeholder
- Share Lessons Learned and relative information within and outside your organization
- Advance the profession of project management
- Improve your competency as a project manager
- Balance stakeholders interest on the project
- Maintain and respect confidential information
- Strive for fair solution
- Ensure that a conflict of interest doesn’t compromise the customer’s legitimate interest
- Act in an accurate truthful manner.